Gum disease is a fairly common condition, affecting up to 47% of adults over the age of 30. The disease is characterized by bleeding, swollen gums, or gums that have receded from the teeth; in some cases, gum disease can lead to tooth loss.
At Affinity Dental in Louisville, KY, we are prepared to help you fight gum disease, keeping your oral health in shape. If your gums bleed when you floss or feel sore and inflamed while brushing, call our office today for an appointment! We will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums to determine if treatment is needed and ensure your smile remains healthy!
Symptoms Of Gum Disease
Gum disease manifests itself in three stages and becomes more severe as it progresses.
- The first stage of the condition is gingivitis, which causes swollen gums that bleed when brushed or flossed. When the disease is caught and treated in this initial phase, patients can avoid the next stage where the condition becomes irreversible.
- Periodontitis is the next stage of gum disease. When the condition reaches this stage, you will likely experience gum recession, tooth sensitivity, and persistent bad breath.
- In the final stage of the disease, advanced periodontitis presents jaw bone degeneration and tooth loss. If left untreated, the disease can spread to other parts of your mouth and body.
Scaling & Root Planing Treatment
Scaling and root planing is a deep cleaning procedure that allows our dental team to clean your teeth above and below the gum line. Our dentists use special tools to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria from the gum pockets; gum pockets form as this bacteria gathers along the gum line and irritates the gums, causing them to pull away from the tooth. This gives the bacteria a space to gather and flourish, out of reach from your toothbrush and floss.
We scrape away this buildup and smooth the surface of the tooth roots, leaving the entire tooth resurfaced and polished. This allows the gums to reattach to the newly clean tooth roots, effectively restoring your oral health.
As gum disease advances, the condition may require more invasive treatments to maintain the health of your teeth and gums. Osseous surgery is performed under dental sedation, with the surgical area fully numb to keep the patient comfortable.
- The process involves the careful removal of infected gum tissue.
- Once the infected tissue is removed, we will polish the underlying bone to remove any pits or irregularities that could allow bacteria to develop.
- After this is complete, we will clean the gums and close the incision for healing.
The completion of this surgery will significantly reduce the patient’s chances for tooth loss, allowing their oral health to recover. Performing regular maintenance and deep cleaning procedures reduces the chances of the disease worsening again in the future.
Expert Care For Gum Disease
Patients suffering from gum disease can rely on Affinity Dental to get their oral hygiene on track. We are dedicated to the wellbeing of our patients and ensure that they are given the treatments and services they need to enjoy a lifetime of radiant smiles!
Contact our office today to schedule your appointment, and let’s work together to secure your smile health for a lifetime!